top of page
  • martintownley27

Briton Ferry Llansawel 3-0 Aberystwyth : Reds make history as they reach Welsh Women's Cup Final

Updated: Feb 21, 2023

Briton Ferry Llansawel will head into the FAW Welsh Women's Cup final after a thumping 3-0 win over Adran Premier Side Aberystwyth. They will now face Cardiff City in the final.

The Reds were on the front foot first, but Aber then came back into the game. Lowri Baker gave the Reds the lead in the 20th minute just after Aber had a good spell of pressure. Aber were playing very physical and trying to unsettle the Reds from their game.

Before the game Aber manager Gavin Allen set out his intentions to man-mark Laura-May Walkley but despite this Walkley was able to have a huge influence on the first half. Despite the attempts to rattle the Reds went in at the break ahead.

The Reds came out in the second half on the front foot and looked to add another goal. Megan Kearle got the second in the 52nd minute. Aber had been trying to man-mark Walkley failing as she again was able to turn her marker. Fleur Jenkins added a third in the 61st minute capitalising on a mistake from the Aber keeper.

The Ferry players rush to Lowri Baker after taking the lead: Image Credit Barcud-Coch Photography


Megan Kearle’s early free kick caused an early problem as Aber keeper Carys Pugh-Jones almost let the ball out of her grasp. The Reds testing the young keeper early on.

Aber came back into the game and Bethan Roberts sent a good cross into the Reds box. No Abe players anticipated the ball and ran out of play.

Emily Thomas was found in space in the box but her shot was high and went over Courtney Young’s goal.

Lowri Baker sent a high ball into Megan Kearle, the Ferry forward brought the ball down and set up Fleur Jenkins. Jenkins fired over.

Laura-May Walkley made a run into the box and held the ball as she waited for an option. Alice Broadley made a run into space and Walkley found her. Broadley shot wide of the target but good pressure from the Reds after Aber had chances.

Megan Kearle made a run down the left and won a corner and Lucy Powell swung it into the six-yard box. As Aber tried to clear the ball ran to Lowri Baker who smashed a shot though the crowd to give Ferry the lead.

Alexsie Clayton was forced off in the 22nd minute after trying to play on from an earlier knock. Brooke Llewellyn replaced her returning from an ankle injury.

Lucy Powell put the ball on the top of the net from her free kick out on the right. She tired again moments later but the ball went straight to the keeper.

Amy Jenkins was set to shoot from the edge of the box but Lowri Ridings slid in and stopped her but it was a foul and Aber had a free kick on the edge of the box. Libby Isaac hit the free kick over the bar.

Lucy Powell in action: Image Credit Barcud-Coch Photography

Half Time: Briton Ferry Llansawel 1-0 Aberystwyth Town

Fleur Jenkins made an early run into the box cutting across the goal but didn’t find a chance to take a shot.

Ferry were given a free kick mid-way into the Aber half for a hand ball. Lucy Powell tried to curl it into the top corner, but her effort went just wide.

Megan Kearle then extended Ferry’s lead when she fired home in the 52 minute. Walkley received the ball from a throw and spun away from her marker to set up Kearle.

Ferry early second half pressure continued and soon they added a third. Chelsea Deacon’s ball into the box was spilled by the keeper and Fleur Jenkins fired in the lose ball.

Aber had a chance from the edge of the box but Courtney Young, who to this point had little to do dived down to her left to turn the ball around the post.

Image Credit: Barcud-Coch Photography

Aber made a triple change as they looked to find a way back into the game. They started to put the Reds under pressure forcing the Reds to play deeper. Despite the Reds dropping back Lowri Ridings and Brooke Llewellyn stood strong to hold the back line.

Jessica Baker had a header at goal, but it went straight at Young who had an easy save. Libby Isaac tried a shot from outside the box, but it went wide.

Meg Kearle won a corner which Lucy Powell put into the box. Aber got the ball back out to Powell who put in another cross which was headed out to Alice Broadley. Broadley went for goal but put her shot just wide.

Lucy Powell sent Chelsea Deacon away, Deacon made her way to the edge of the box but hit a sot too close to the keeper.

Aber were unable to find a way back into the game and its the Reds who head to the final.

Full Time: Briton Ferry Llansawel 3-0 Aberystwyth Town.

Briton Ferry: Courtney Young (G), Laura-May Walkley, Alice Broadley, Fleur Jenkins, Lowri Ridings ©, Lucy Powell, Ela Roberts, Megan Kearle, Chelsea Deacon, Lowri Baker, Alexsie Clayton (Brooke Llewellyn 22).

Goals: Lowri Baker 20, Megan Kearle 53, Fleur Jenkins 61,

Yellow Cards: Lowri Ridings 38.

Featured Image: FAW

222 views0 comments


bottom of page