top of page
  • martintownley27

Caldicot Town 1-4 Briton Ferry Llansawel: Ferry into next round after tough game at Caldicot

After their historic run to last season final Briton Ferry put themselves in to the next round of the Welsh Women’s Cup. They were made to work hard for the win against a competitive Caldicot side.

On a bobbly pitch the game started tight, but the visitors created the better of the early chances. Lowri Baker gave the Reds the lead in the 12th minute with a smart finish. The Reds kept pushing and created more chances as the half went on. Ferry kept pushing forward but even with chance after chance could not get a second goal.

Ferry made a lighting start to the second half as they scored twice within the first six minutes. Laura-May Walkley and Mollie Jones with the goals. Then Reds upped the pace of the game and in the earl parts of the half Caldicot were unable to deal with them. As the half went along Caldicot grew in confidence and Mille Pearce pulled a goal back. Ferry had chances to regain the three goal lead but a combination of Caldicot’s resilience and the woodwork stopped them.


Megan Kearle took a free kick from the left and found Walkley in the box. Walkley tried to work the ball across the goal, but Caldicot cleared. The ball only went as far as Alexise Clayton who fired a shot wide.

The opening goal came soon after as Fleur Jenkins put the ball into the box from the left and found Lowri Baker. Baker smashed the ball past the keeper from close range.

Lowri Baker Credit: Lewis Mitchell/FAW

Ferry then had a great chance to make it two. Walkley sending Witts away on the right, she then put the ball across goal but Mollie Jones turned the ball just wide.

Megan Kearle sent a free kick in to the box and found the head of Alison Witts. Witts sent a glancing header just wide.

Baker and Witts linked up on the right and Witts put a cross into the box which almost went in, crashing off the crossbar.

Witts then found Walkley in the box and Walkley played the ball right to Baker. Baker hit a low shot, but it was straight at Alisha Young who made the save. Just after the ball came back to Baker and she hit the post with another chance.

Alison Witts then saw a stunning effort cannon back off the bar. Her curling effort from outside the box rattling the Caldicot crossbar for the second time.

Half Time: Caldicot 0-1 Briton Ferry

Laura-May Walkley made it 2-0 early into the second half. Mollie Jones with some good work to get the ball to Alison Witts who set up Walkley to send a long shot over the keeper.

Mollie Jones made it three just after as her free kick from the left curled into the bottom of the goal.

Mollie Jones Credit: Lewis Mitchell/FAW

Caldicot were not going to give up and managed to get a goal back. Millie Pearce scoring direct from a free kick to pull a goal back.

Lowri Baker sent the ball into the box for Alison Witts who tried to hook the ball into the goal. Witts’ effort was stopped by the keeper.

Alison Witts teed up Mollie Jones on the edge of the box but her shot lacked power and was saved by the keeper.

The home side were not going away, and the Reds had to work hard at the back as they looked to get a second. Fleur Jenkins doing a good job of breaking up the home sides attacks.

Alison Witts hit the bar again with a powerful shot from just on the edge of the box. Her effort crashing off the underside then bouncing away from goal.

Alison Witts finally got her goal in added time. Hitting a shot from 25 yards that went in off the bar in to make 4-1 to Ferry.

Full Time: Caldicot Town 1-4 Briton Ferry

Briton Ferry Llansawel: Courtney Young (G), Laura-May Walkley, Fleur Jenkins (Mia Pritchard 90), Brooke Llewellyn (Kayleigh Hateley 90), Lowri Ridings ©, Mollie Jones, Megan Kearle, Lowri Baker (Anya Welch 66), Alison Witts, Jess Denscombe (Georgia Howells 86), Alexsie Clayton (Alice Broadley 46).

Goals: Lowri Baker 12, Laura-May Walkley 49, Mollie Jones 51, Alison Witts 90+4.

Featured Image: Lewis Mitchell/FAW

50 views0 comments


bottom of page